A Guide To Buying Dental Insurance

Routine dental check-ups, treatment, accidental injuries and emergencies can be very costly and can cause financial distress for you if you are not adequately prepared in terms of finances. This has thus made dental insurance an increasing necessity in everyday life for any given individual. Dental health is very important for you and your family and you might consider taking a dental cover for this, especially if it is not comprehensively covered by your employer.

Why Get Dental Insurance?

Many a times, some of us usually do not see the need of having a dental insurance plan. The truth however is that when you purchase supplemental dental insurance policy, you safeguard your family’s oral health and you finances as well.

There are dental emergencies that may occur to yourself or your children that may require immediate attention and may cost you a huge amount. Such may include a serious dental injury that may necessitate a surgery, oral cancer and even fractures of the jaws. These are emergencies that may cause a strain in your budget. However, if you have a comprehensive dental insurance plan, the insurer will be able to pay up for these and will save you a lot of headache.

What To Look Out For

Almost all dental insurance policies cover regular dental procedures such as cleanings, assessments and x-rays. However, this may vary depending on the specific plan you choose and the type of procedures you need. In addition to these, there are some other key coverage specifics you should consider such as full or partial coverage for dental implants, periodontics, tooth bonding and crowns.

There are some exemption procedures that are usually not covered by insurance plans such as cosmetic treatments like teeth whitening and gaps fixed and you will have to pay the full cost on your own for such procedures. You should also consider the period that the insurer requires you to enroll before you can start using the plan. Normally, it is 3-6 months but some schemes may require a period of 18 months before you start getting the benefits.

Comparison of Different Insurance Schemes

Other than the features we’ve discussed above, there are some other distinguishing features that can guide you in selecting the best insurer for your dental health and they include the following:

Payment to the dentist

It is important to know who pays what to whom and in consideration to these, dental plans are categorized into two; Indemnity plans and Direct reimbursement plans. In the case of indemnity plans, you or your employer will be paying a monthly premium and whenever you visit the dentist, the insurance company pays 50%- 80% of the dentist’s fee while you pay the remaining 50-20%. For direct reimbursement plans, you as the patient pays the dentist directly and after you are issued with the receipt indicating the payments and services received, your employer or insurance company will reimburse you with an agreed fixed percentage of the costs.

Choosing the dentist

Some plans will allow you to choose your own dentist while others limit your choice, mostly due to exchange for lower rates. Open Panel plan allows you to choose the dentist you would prefer while Closed Panel plans allows you to receive care from only the dentists who have signed a contract with your insurer. You should consider this feature and choose wisely depending on your preference.

Photo by Zdenko Zivkovic / CC by

Posted on May 22, 2023